MORTI AND ME – PART 3

Morti and Me
Slice of Life

I departed for Germany with a sense that my life would never be the same. Our names had reached the top of the list for temporary military housing. I was eager to join my husband now stationed in Germany. Our three-year old daughter danced with excitement everywhere she went. She didn’t understand where we were going or why; all that mattered to her was that daddy would be waiting with open arms.

I’d never thought the day would come when Morti and I would be separated. He’d been my constant companion and he couldn’t fly until warmer weather. Winter has always been my favorite season—with the exception of those long months when Morti was in Kansas and we were in Germany.

Temporary housing turned out to be a six floor walk-up in a German village. My first thought upon entering the front door: Morti will love it here, high above the trees.

This was my first trip abroad and I was eager to experience all our new way of living had to offer.

Letters from home assured me Morti was doing fine. Little did I know just how content he was until I received a letter from Morti himself. It read:

“Hi. It’s the big guy from Kansas. That’s what they call me here, big guy. Everyone seems to have forgotten I have a proper name. I remember you used to call me Little Guy. That was a long time ago, wasn’t it?

“I was afraid I’d be lonely after you left but, fortunately, I’ve developed a hankering for regular bird and critter watching. There’s not a moment’s peace.

“I need more nap time. The eats are good. I haven’t seen my regular food in days. Do you think you could ask for recipes?

“I miss reading with you.

“Love, Morti”

What the heck. Who wrote the letter for Morti? I didn’t recognize the handwriting. It didn’t belong to Mom or Dad. I couldn’t imagine my mother cooking for Morti, so who? Who was visiting often? I wanted to know.

Winter lingered on and in the meantime Dad located a veterinarian who would transcribe Morti’s medical file and sign it within thirty days of his flight date.

I’d made arrangements for the transatlantic kennel before leaving Kansas. Morti wasn’t going to like his travel accommodations. After all, it was a crate!

Spring finally arrived and I was in a panic. We drove miles using our precious gas ration coupons searching for Morti’s regular cat food. How is it that in all of Germany, we couldn’t locate a single can of Nine-Lives Tuna? My Morti was brand loyal.

Immediately I called Dad and asked him to air-freight me three cases of Morti’s favorite food. Dad assured me Morti would eat whatever I fed him when he was hungry but that had never been the deal between Morti and me. We had mutual respect for each other.

Desperate, I purchased a case of Purina cat food. To be on the safe side, we also had shredded breast of chicken, baked and flaked white fish and of course Morti’s daily requirements of cream and Hostess Twinkies.

We arrived at the Frankfurt airport, cargo terminal, two hours before Morti’s arrival time. I was sure I’d stood in line forever, only to be met by a stern looking officer who barked, “Come back in two hours, your cargo will be ready for pick-up.”

Cargo! Two hours! What was taking so long? I’d been told animals were last on and first off planes, so where was my Mortichi? We’d been apart six long months and I wasn’t happy.

I'm on my way, just hold on until next time.

I’m on my way, just hold on until next time.

Please join Morti and me next time for our continuing adventures.

If you missed Part 1 and Part 2, you may read them here and here.

Aside | This entry was posted in Slice Of Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to MORTI AND ME – PART 3

1. sjthomas30 says:

Ah, I love this! And the pictures are adorable! Can’t wait to read the next one 🙂

2. kiwiskan says:

I’m desperate for the next one – where is it!

Hang in there Morti. Momma’s coming!

Oh I love this post. Going to read the others. Of course in the wrong order. Doesn’t matter. They are still great~

5. words4jp says:

Hey I can certainly understand doing the air freighting Morti’s food. The Twinkie thing – very cute;)

6. melanie says:

Hi there from here! 🙂 Long story, very short: I’m a catlover, by definition & by excellence… à la vie, à la mort! 🙂
    – – –
    Thanx a bunch of lavender from my front yard for your stop-over(s) at the New Playground… 🙂
    My very best, have a great weekend and tons of inspiration! 🙂 Respectful regards, Mélanie

7. Lynn Garrett says:

I’m nor even a cat person, and I love this story. Of course, Morti is a cat by heritage only. How lucky he was to belong to a real cat lover like you.

8. Oh Sheri, stop doing this to us! The cliffhangers!

9. Uzoma says:

Love the letter part of this installment, Sheri. You make me cherish Morti more and more. Looking forward to the next.

• Hello Uzoma – I thought I’d replied to your comment. I do appreciate your dropping in to read with me. You know, I never did find out who wrote the letter for Morti. No one would ever fess up but it’s still talked about at family gatherings. I popped over to your blog and read your story. Excellent work, my friend. The tension is perfect and I was present the instant I started reading. Until the next time. S

10. Morti is a real trooper, and like most cats, a bit finicky I’d say. This is such a fun summer series. I can you are enjoying helping him with the story.

11. Sheri … I am loving Morti’s series … I can’t wait for the next installment. It’s great to meet another true animal lover who can actually think in animal-speak. We all await Morti’s next adventure 🙂

• Hi Florence – Morti lives on in my heart. We spent 27 years ‘talking’ with each other and could he ever talk. How do you think animals automatically know it’s you that’s just arriving home when your car park is far away (such as the case many times when we lived in large cities). I fear Congress is making me so angry and a few other issues that Morti will take a nap for a couple of weeks or so and I’ll return to my advocacy self. But Morti will be back.

12. I so enjoyed this fun story. Can’t wait to read the next installment. i love the whole air-freighting of his favorite food 🙂

13. The pictures of Germany are SO gorgeous. Can’t wait for the next installment.

14. Robyn Lee says:

To be continued…?? oh my ~ Morti sounds like quite the charming fellow. I hope the story has a happy ending about the letter-writing kitty! 🙂 Love to you Sheri ~~ x Robyn

• Good Morning Robyn – Even Morti surprised me. He was such a tease in life and now he’s doing the same in spirit. I fully expected him to get off the plane in Frankfurt although I knew he wouldn’t be happy about the crate situation. Morti becomes a world traveler and if he can’t make his connections to Frankfurt, how will it be when we go to Paris?

AGGGH! Sheri, you did it again, leaving me in suspense. I’m on pins-and-needles here, worried about Morti and eagerly anticipating the reunion. It sounds like he was spoiled during his stay at your parents’ ranch. And I can’t wait to find out who wrote that letter. Loving this story!!

• Hi Mae – I thought of you as I closed the post last night. It took a twisted turn on me. I’d anticipated Morti and I plus our happy reunion. Morti had other plans. He always wants a grand entrance and that’s exactly what he got. I was a mess trying to find his cat food so he could have delicacies to choose from and no Morti. I was as they say, ‘nearly beside myself.’ But, never fear, Morti will return.